About the site:
The Half-World was started in September of 2010 and has been slowly consuming the internet ever since. Really, really slowly. You’ll never notice until it’s too late.
The site’s name comes from a phrase my mom uses sometimes; when I’m spacing out, she’ll say “You’re staring into the half-world”. When I was trying to come up with a good name for the site, this was the only name that stuck. It’s rather appropriate for a blog filled with the kind of stuff I think about when spacing out.
I use a fair bit of internet slang and fandom-speak on here. I also make reference to memes on the occasion. If you’re ever puzzled by something I have said, there’s a handy glossary where you can look something up. (And if what you’re looking for isn’t on the page, just ask and I’ll be happy to answer.)
Though THW gets a fair amount of visitors each day, not many of them comment, and I do love feedback. Anything you have to say is appreciated.
This site is, or was, primarily a MST blog, but I am in the process of shifting focus to mocking published fiction instead. There’s also a fair bit of fandom-related miscellany here if you go back through the archives.
About the MSTs:
(For those who don’t know what a MST is, you can go check out that glossary I mentioned and linked to above.)
THW’s fanfic MSTs are the most popular thing here, and the most plentiful. The first was run in February of 2011, and over thirty fanfics (well over a hundred and fifty chapters of MSTs) have been ridiculed here since.
The MSTs here are divided into five categories:
- HFF, or Horrible Fanfiction, is the main category and the largest. All MSTs in this category were done entirely by me. This is the most regularly-updated category.
- The Guest MST category is composed of exactly what it says on the tin: guest MSTs. These were written by people other than myself (friends of mine, that is). They have their own numbering system and are updated only sporadically.
- Author’s Request MSTs, as you might guess from the name, are fics I’m MSTing on the request of the author. They’re a little different than regular MSTs; first, they aren’t all horrid, and second, they contain more constructive criticism since the author is part of the audience.
- The fanfic My Immortal, which is quite well-known on the internet and also quite long, has its own category simply due to its length. Like the HFFs, it is a solo MST. Now complete.
- Surviving Middle School at Aperture Science also has its own category due to its length. Now complete.
I am not currently taking submissions for fics to be MSTed.
About the fanfic reviews:
From time to time I do one-shot reviews of fanfiction. Generally it’s stuff that I liked, or that’s popular in its respective fandom, or just that I felt like talking about.
About the book reviews:
I’ve been changing focus on this blog lately to go after published fiction rather than fanworks (many of which are written casually by kids in their free time, so it doesn’t seem fair for me to be so critical in most cases). So far I’ve plowed my way through Fifty Shades of Grey, and I’m currently reading and reviewing City of Bones.
I’m nineteen, human, and a college student. I’ve got something of a busy life and don’t always have as much time as I’d like to run this blog, but I do what I can.
You can also find me on Tumblr, where I blog about my fandoms in a typically much more casual, but also much more prolific, manner than I do over here.